Search for how to get rid of warts and you can find some senseless lists. This isn’t one of them. I’ve listed here my top five home remedies that has worked for me personally and has given the fastest results. They’re ordered from slowest to fastest. Take your time and read through each one to figure out which one might be best for you, or jump straight to a remedy you’re interested in by clicking on the links below.
- Oregano oil
- Clove oil
- Tea tree oil
- Apple cider vinegar
True oil of oregano is an effective, but lesser known natural remedy for removing warts. What exactly do I mean by true oregano oil? When buying oregano oil, you need to make sure that it is indeed the right stuff by paying close attention to the label. It should tell you that it was harvested from wild oregano plants only found natively in Mediterranean regions.
Oregano oil is indeed effective, but I’ll be honest and tell you right now that it isn’t exactly the fastest at getting results. However, if you’re trying to figure out how to remove warts at home, don’t cross it off the list just yet for that reason alone. For most users, it takes at least a week of consistent use before there is even any sign of it working. Tiny black spots in the wart are what tells you that it’s working. Then it takes at least another week, or more before the wart is completely dead and you’re able to pull it out. Some users have reported getting results in as little as 1-2 weeks and others have said it took up to a month. That can seem like a long time, but it’s quite fast when compared to years or even a decade for it go away on its own.
With the topic of how fast out of the way, let’s get to talking about why it has to be true oil of oregano. It’s important that it’s true oregano oil because the right stuff is rich with the phenols carvacrol and thymol—up to 90%! Both are what makes it so effective for treating warts. Not only are they anti-microbial, they also possess the ability to burn off the excess skin growth. So basically, it will burn off the wart and at the same time help battle the HPV virus responsible for the wart.
As far as getting your hands on some true oil of oregano, I’m sure you can find it at your local natural health store. I’ve always made it easy on myself and bought it online. Aside from the right oil, you’ll also need some basic supplies:
- Band-Aids (I prefer the waterproof kind because they stick much better)
- Cotton swabs
Once you have your hands on a bottle of true oregano oil and the supplies, it’s time to learn how to get rid of warts using true oil of oregano. Just follow the following instructions.
- Clean the area that is to be treated with warm water and soap. Let the area run under warm water for about a few minutes.
- Dry your hands as well as the area that will be treated.
- Using a clean cotton swab, dip it into the oil.
- Massage the oil onto the wart. Be careful not to get it on your healthy skin.
- Place a clean Band-Aid over the wart and leave it on. If this is the final treatment before bed, leave it on overnight.
- You’ll want to do this at least two times a day. The most important time to use this treatment is right before bed so you can leave it on.
Clove oil is yet another effective, but not so very well known option for getting rid of warts. With clove oil, you should start seeing some results in as little as a week. Tiny dark spots will appear in the wart within the first week with consistent applications. It can take another week, or two for the entire wart to turn black. Once the wart has turned black, you should be able to pull it out with little force. Of course, it could take longer for some, so give it a little time if you’re seeing some dark spots in the wart.
It works the same as oregano oil. How you use it is even the same. You just need to apply a drop or two of clove oil onto the wart and gently massage it in.
After massaging the oil into the wart, you just need to cover it up with a Band-Aid and leave it on. You can actually just do this one time a day—it’ll just take a little longer to get rid of the wart. Don’t forget, the best time to do this treatment is right before bed.
So if clove oil is so similar to oregano oil, why would you choose to use it instead? Honestly, you can try either if you haven’t tried any of them before. The problem with wart remedies is, one remedy may work great for a person, but might not work at all for another.
That’s why the trick to getting rid of warts is you have to experiment a little. You have to pick one and then switch if you aren’t getting the desired results. You rinse and repeat until you find one that works well for you. I know, it’s a hassle, but it’s definitely better than having to deal with the embarrassment caused by warts.
Tea Tree Oil
Alright, so we finally get to a more popular and better known remedy, tea tree oil. Search for home remedies and you’re sure to run into tea tree oil. It works for a wide range of stuff and warts is one of them—thanks to its powerful anti-viral properties.
As for instant results, you won’t get that with tea tree oil either. In fact, you probably won’t see any results during the first week of use. Don’t give up though. Towards the end of the first week, you should be seeing those desired black spots in the wart that tells you it’s working. Give it another week or two after that and it should come out with easily.
For this remedy, you’re going to need the same supplies as the other two oils:
- Cotton swabs
- Band-Aids (optional)
The steps are almost the same as the other two:
- Use a clean cotton swab to get some oil from the bottle.
- Massage the oil on the cotton swab on the wart.
- Cover the treated wart with a clean Band-Aid. This step is optional if you don’t mind waiting a little longer to get results. Otherwise if you want faster results, then I recommend you don’t skip this step.
- Repeat several times a day until the wart disappears.
Based on personal experience, I’ll have to say that garlic is the second fastest remedy for warts on this list. If you’re trying to figure out how to get rid of warts using home remedies, don’t skip out on garlic. I start seeing signs of it working in as little as 3-4 days. I’ve been able to remove warts by the 7th or 8th day of treatment. In less than 2 weeks, the wart is usually gone. Of course, there is a price to pay for the speed and that’s pain and smelling garlic all the time while using this remedy.
To use garlic to remove warts, crushed raw garlic is applied directly to a wart. Once it’s black, you can pull it off easily. There should be almost no pain and no bleeding (both of which are signs that a wart is still alive and not ready to be pulled off yet).
What you’ll need:
- Waterproof Band-Aid
- Fresh garlic
What to do:
- Crush the garlic and smash it into a paste.
- Carefully place the garlic past on top of the wart. Be careful not to get it on your healthy skin because it will cause a burn.
- Keep the garlic paste in place by covering it with a clean Band-Aid. I like to use the waterproof kind, but you can use regular Band-Aid if you want.
- Keep it on overnight.
- Wash it off in the morning. At this point, you can either start another round of garlic treatment, or keep it clean and covered until night time for another treatment.
- Repeat until the wart is completely black and either falls off by itself, or it can be picked out with no pain and no bleeding.
How to Remove Warts with Apple Cider Vinegar
Alright I saved the best for last. The best meaning the fastest. I’ve been able to get results in as little as one week. Unlike the remedies using essential oils, apple cider vinegar can get the wart out by the end of the first week. You can start seeing the black spots on the 3rd day of treatment. If you’ve tried all sorts of different remedies can’t still can’t quite figure out how to remove warts at home, then make sure you give acv a serious consideration.
Yes, that is fast and it sounds amazing doesn’t it? However, like I said above, it comes with a price. First of all, you will be smelling a little funky while you’re using acv. Worst of all, it can be very painful. For me and for others, the pain got so bad sometimes that we would wake up in the middle of the night in pain. It’s not for those with little pain tolerance and it is definitely not for kids.
If you’re feeling brave and would like to get faster results despite the pain, then here’s what you’ll need:
- 100% organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Cotton squares
- Duct tape
- Sharp scissors
What to do:
- Before anything else, you need to prepare everything ahead of time. Trust me, it will make things a whole lot easier.
- See how much duct tape you will need and cut the pieces ahead of time. You will want to have enough duct tape to cover the entire area being treated.
- Cut out a piece of the cotton square pad. Make it just large enough to cover the wart you are treating.
- Add several drops of acv onto the piece of cotton. Make sure it is soaked with acv.
- Squeeze out some of the excess acv from the cotton.
- Place the acv treated cotton on top of the wart.
- Hold the cotton in place with the pre-cut duct tape. Make sure to cover the entire treated area so it doesn’t not dry out.
- Leave it on overnight.
- In the morning, remove everything and wash the treated area with warm soap and water.
- Cover the wart with a new piece of duct tape.
- Repeat again at night until the wart has turned black and can be picked off with ease and no bleeding or pain.
More Info About How to Remove Warts
- Surprising Tagamet for Warts Treatment
- 5 Fantastic Essential Oils for Warts
- Terrific Tea Tree Oil Warts Remedy
- Apple Cider Vinegar Warts Remedy Works in Just 1 Week
- 10 Home Remedies for Warts that Work
Whichever remedy you decide to try, there are a few things to keep in mind. Don’t use any of these on sensitive areas like the face and genitals. For sensitive areas like those, the best thing to do is go consult with a professional to avoid complications and scars. Also, these are just five of the many remedies out there. If you’ve had better results with a different remedy, please help us out and share it with the rest of the readers in the comments below. You’ll really be helping out others who are still trying to figure out how to get rid of warts.